Soccer Agility Drills
By Patrick Beith
The ability to stop, start, cut and sprint are extremely crucial skills needed to be successful in soccer. Here are 6 of our top soccer agility drills for players that can be used and are great in a team setting.
1. Ground Marker Drill
- Place 4 ground markers out in a straight line approximately three yards apart.
- In between each set of markers place another marker only three yards to the left.
- Players are to sprint from one marker to the next bending down to touch each one with your hand.
- The emphasis is on taking quick side steps, rather than turning to face the marker and sprinting forward – that takes more time (which don't have in a game).
2. Teamate Chase Drill
- Mark out a large area – 20 yards by 20 yards for example.
- Pair up with a team mate and have them run randomly within the area.
- Try to maintain 2 yards distance from them at all times. Your team mate should be changing direction and pace constantly.
3. Corner Sprint Drill
- Use four cones to mark out a square approximately five yards by five yards.
- Place a cone in the center of the square. This is your starting position.
- Give each corner a number and remember it! Have a team mate (or your coach) call numbers at random.
- Sprint to the corner shouted and return to the middle.
4. Shuttle Take-off Drill
- Place two ground markers 20 yards apart. Place marker in the middle only three yards to the side.
- Starting from the middle marker sprint to one end (10 yards), turn and immediately sprint to the other end (20 yards) and then back to the start (10 yards).
- Turn on a different foot at each marker and try to touch the ground with your hand.
5. Cross Drill
- Set a series of cones out in a cross formation.
- Run backwards to the center cone, side step to the right cone (or your left if you are performing the drill), side step back to the centre cone still facing the same way.
- At the center cone turn and sprint forward to the end cone. Now run back to the enter cone, side step to the left, side step back to the center, then turn and sprint back to the start.
6. Weaving Shuttle Drill
- Place 10 shuttles in a line 5 yards apart.
- Weave in and out as fast as possible and walk back to the start.
- This exercise is often performed much more slowly with a ball. The goal here is to develop speed of leg movement so no ball is used.
Recommended Athletes' Acceleration
0 Comments for “Soccer Agility Drills”