Nutrition Tips for Athletes
By: Patrick Beith
Easy to follow nutrition tips for athletes:
* Do not skip meals.
* Eat 4-5 meals a day.
* Eat breakfast every day.
* Eat most of your vegetables and fruits in raw form.
* Try to eat all the colors in the crayon box (fruits & vegetables).
* Sufficient protein should be present in all meals (especially breakfast) to prevent extreme insulin fluctuations due to rapid digestion of carbohydrates.
* Highly processed foods (such as sugars, oils, and flour) should be avoided in excess. They are not recognized by the body and make them difficult to process.
* Design your diet so that you receive a complete mix of all the nutrients every day to promote recovery and restoration and to enhance your immune system function.
* Post workout nutrition can drastically reduce the time needed to recover.
* The body is much more efficient at restoring carbohydrates 15 minutes after a strenuous workout. Carbohydrates are the primary fuel during exercise – needs to be restored by the body.
* Post workout drink: 1 gram of protein for every 3 grams of carbohydrate. (.3gm of protein/lb. of lean body weight)
* Drink approximately 64 oz. (8 glasses) of water daily. Bring a water bottle with you everywhere (especially practice).
Recommended Athletes’ Acceleration Products